Saturday, April 10, 2010

Spring Top - Take One!

I'm so excited to be participating in the Spring Top Challenge over at Made By Rae. I'm going to just go ahead and admit that I've never made myself a top...like, ever. So this was the perfect little kick in the pants to get me out of my comfort zone.

Here's my first attempt, I'm actually pretty pleased with how this came out.



This top is my own design reconstructed from a men's tshirt. I thrifted this tshirt for $.50, people. Beat that. I chose it because I liked the monochromatic stripes and I knew it was big enough that I'd have some options.

I pulled out an old tank top that has served me well over the years and used that as my pattern. I ended up making it a little more fitted and made the straps slightly thinner, but I think I love it! I used some of the scraps to make a ruffle for the neckline and crocheted a flower and added a fabric covered button in the center. Voila! A cute summer top.



I'm in love with the idea of reconstructing clothes...in.love. It transforms the way you look at everything in the thrift store. And if you mess it up - you're on out pennies! I found a perfect pink oxford that's going to be perfect for a recon project for Madeline...and I can get back into my comfort zone - creating stuff for my girl!


Molly

2 comments:

  1. this is great!!
    I love what you said about recons transforming how you look at everything; where once I saw a piece of clothing, I now see simply FABRIC :-)

    ReplyDelete